Friday, December 26, 2008

Am I prepared for the Great Apolicalicys?

My friends joke that I am ready for the "Great Apolicplicys" because of food that I have in my room closet. If something happens they joke and say that they are going to come to my room if that happens. Thing is I just like having in there too eat 1) if there's nothing in the cafa at school or i don't wake up in time 2) or if something happens and I need to use it, like a big snow storm and shuts down the whole town and the school.(Thank goodness for the genetor that Horsfall has.)

So any ways, the economy falling and the government trying to help it.

My Church has taught for years to keep a year supply of food. I don't have that, but I do have a good 5-6 days worth... if I am sharing then maybe 2-3days depending on how much we can eat sparingly.

I recently read on MSN a story that "Mormons are prepared for hard times" (See article here ---> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28392743) the article was good... put the Church in a good light... but.. they had some AP style issues that I wasn't sure if it was right or not.
But, one thing I really wish they could have re-worded.... "It's unclear how many individuals and families need church assistance each year. Church statistics from 2007 show some 210,000 people used employment centers and training to find jobs. But church officials declined to provide a demographic snapshot of the average welfare recipient, the amount of time most recipients use the programs and an average value for the commodities provided.

Without that information, it's difficult to assess the effect the church programs have on the community, said Glenn Bailey, director of Crossroads Urban Center, an advocacy and direct services agency for the poor in Salt Lake City that annually gets a share of church commodities for its own emergency food bank."

First off, it's to diffucult to deterimine how many people go to the Bishop Store House. People from ALL demographic, education, life situations go to bishops store house if they need it.
Bishops Store House's are every where in the in United States and even outside the States.

In regards to the Bishops Store House I know first hand that they have a large effect on communitys every where. As the article stated, the Bishops Store House does not just help it's memebers it helps other too. And just because the information was not made for the news media does not mean that the Church does'nt help. If people in the media want to know the affect the Church plays... maybe they should think about what would happen if they didn't give. (Now this would never happen, but the numbers might surpise you.)

*The thoughts in this blog do NOT RELFECT the Church's beliefs or standers. They are the thoughs of the bloger*

No comments: