Friday, January 2, 2009

At the end of 2007 I read a book called My Sister Keeper…. It was a great book! In 2008 I read a book called What A Girl Wants, witten by Kristin Billerbeck Both of these books my friend Pam recommended to me.

For today’s blog I want to share my thoughts on “What A Girl Wants” first of reading this book gave me hope! It was what I need it…

The book for those that haven’t read it or just haven’t heard of it is about a Single 31, patent attorney going through life. She dealt with her best friend getting and now her brothers getting married. Her name is Ashley Stockingsdales and she is one of my heros.

Ashley knows how I feel…she wants to be married and not be old maid or bus bait.

She adopts a new life attitude. She looks at her life and decides to just to live it the best she can.

Through out the book, I cried, thought about yelling in my head, I got angry, mad, even had jealousy and cheered for Ashley.

Below are some worthy quotes or sections for the book that really stuck out to me:

“There’s single for a season and single for a reason,” page 28

“A man who saw a little age like fine wine rather than vinegar past its prime.”

“So I’ll just go home and pout,” page 35.

“It women are from Venus, I am living on Pluto,” page 39. (Good point Ashley) (for those that don’t understand this, there is saying that goes… “men are from mars and women are from venus… those planets are close in the solar system)

“I go on faith that someday, some man some where will recognized my virginity for the gift it is…” page 89 (So true for any women)

“Just because I’m getting married and you can’t get a date is no reson to be angrt wht me sis,” page 57 (this was one Ashley brother was talking to her.)

“Some will come along someday. I hear Florida is a good place to find wealthy widowers. Maybe you should put in for a transfer of course. I hear they go wuickly. Both to marriage and death,” page 52.( more of Ashley brother talking)

“My life reeks like an oninon,” page 62

“Maybe I should invest in a good playstaion II,” page 69 (expect now I would have to say a WII or PS3)….“So I don’t discuss feelings, but instead talk about secret codes and chambers maybe then I’ll understand men.”

“Marriage dulls the memory the seem to think they can solve every single person problem.” (Not only do married people think that, sometimes it works.. but they also tend to forget what it is like to be single)

“because the game of love is far too complicated for my simple mind.”

“Must change what I find attractive,” page 112.

“Revel in my single status,” page 113.

“Maybe guys are just afraid of me,” page197.

“Ack. Reality. Reality so bites go away,” page 214.

Thoughts on friends being married at times… “Then I became just another island floating in the middle of the middle of San Franisco Bay,” page 190.

“…that women will have her coffin wired with DSL,” page 215.

“What are the basics,” page 228.

“What do you think success is Ashley Stockingsdale?”

“It’s like being in one big high school clique for your entire life. I want to live and be unafraid. If I make a fool of myself at Starbucks, so what,” page 229 (thoughts on the grown-up world)

“And if I never get married and people think I’m bus bait for the rest of my life, so what? Didn’t god put me here for other reasons?” page 229.

“Having am Oprah moment, if you will..” page 230.

“I am quickly becoming a robot..” page 248

I think that is a good book both for the single, engaged or even full the married. Why? Because it's true in my eyes Ashely thoughts. And more importanly it reminded me that even in that book world there are characters that aren't married.

No comments: