Friday, September 9, 2011

Ten Years Ago: 9/11

Ten years ago I was in the 10th grade. Ten years ago I moved to Texas. Ten years ago I was 15 years old. Ten years ago I didn’t have Facebook, iPod or a digital camera. Ten years ago life changed forever, as 9.11 to on a new meaning. The world had no idea of what Twitter was.

Tuesday, 7:30 a.m., Sept. 11, 2011: KPLX is blasting from my radio in my bedroom as I prepared for English Class via phone in Maryville, Tennessee.

I hear one of the radio personalities say, “A plan just hit the World Trade Center in New York. If you can get to a TV go and turn it on.” I quickly run to the living room TV and turn on Fox News. There were the images. Smoke is coming out of the building; people running down the streets of New York. I yell to my parents to tell them. Moments later another plane hits the other tower. Then word about the Pentagon and empty field in Pennsylvania were two other planes have crashed.

The images played all day. I watch. I was scared. I prayed. I thought Dallas might be next. I held my scriptures close at night.

When the paper came out, I got an edition.

I knew this would now be a day written in the history books. Something I would tell my children and grandchildren one day.

Days would go by as the news scroll the list of the dead/missing at the bottom of the screen. The world as we know it had changed.

In the days, months and even years to come, movies, pictures, books, stories of survivors, and even songs would tell of that day.

Ten years later, we still fight the war on terrorism, some of the leaders of it now dead. Airport security has forever changed.

Life lesson have learned.

One thing is for sure we will never forget. Our colors don’t run. United We Stand, Together as one.

No comments: